Monday 13 July 2020

Phone@5 - Go on, treat yourself, you're worth it!



So Covid 19 really messed up my birthday this year, a milestone birthday at that, yes I was going to be 30 (ish). The plan had been a group of friends, Portugal, sun, wine, delicious fresh fish. Reality was a somewhat chilly and damp day in Buxton.  There were some great bits; a lovely walk, flowers from friends and family,  lots of cards (my husband even remembered) and a glass (or two) of champagne.

But the one thing that made this milestone unique was my contacting Steph @buxtonfringe to book a phone at 5 call. I'm a big opera fan and having listened to Stephs interview on BBC Radio Sheffield talking about the Phone@5 idea I thought why not?

Bang on the dot of 5pm the phone rang, Tora from Poperasops wished me a happy birthday and asked how my day had been. She then sang me a wonderful aria that made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

Besides the song what I loved most was the chance to talk to Tora and to whoop down the phone and let her know how much I had enjoyed it.

Tora told me how much she was enjoying making the Phone@5 calls as a chance to talk to the audience, and was delighted at what a clever idea it was. I'm sure this must be the case for all our Phone@5 artists.

You don't have to choose opera of course, there are other musical choices, as well as comedy, poetry and stories. Call Steph to find out more on 01298 79351. Its not too late, Phone@5 is available till 17th July.

So go on treat yourself and support our wonderful performers at the same time - it doesn't have to be your birthday, you're worth it!

Carole Garner

Buxton Fringe

Website: www.buxtonfringe.org.uk
Facebook: buxtonfringe
Twitter: @buxtonfringe
Instagram: @buxtonfringe

No comments:

Post a Comment