Monday 16 October 2017
The morning skies over much of Britain today had an eerie orange tint about them. Social media sites carried all sorts of worried messages about the 'end of the world' and 'post-apocalyptic nightmares'. We are happy to report that it was a simple reminder to those of us responsible for these things to bring you up to date with news of your favourite orange tinted festival. And we have quite a lot of news.
1) Buxton Festival Fringe 2018 will run from Wednesday 4th through to Sunday 22nd July. For those of you that need to take account of the town Carnival and fair then please note that Carnival day is Saturday 14th. If nothing else this may mean that St John's Church will not be available for the first week of the Fringe while the wells dressing petalling takes place.
2) Your geodesic Dome Fringe venue of choice - The Rotunda - is already accepting bookings for shows next July and it will fill up quickly. If you have an interest in putting on a Fringe event at the Rotunda you are urged to contact them soon. (We will be open for entries for next year's Fringe on 1st December - see point 5 below - but there is nothing to stop you sorting out dates and venues for your shows now).
3) We have an open competition for artwork for next year's programme cover. The closing date for entries is November 1st. We look forward to receiving your work. The Fringe programme at flyer gets seen by 30,000 people across the region and beyond and so it is a good opportunity for artists to get exposure - and a modest cash prize of £100.
4) Our AGM takes place on Wednesday 8th November at The Green Man Gallery starting at 7pm. There will be some informal time - for a drink and some nibbles and a chance to chat with friends and let the trustees and committee know your thoughts about how the Fringe might develop. If you want to become more closely involved in our work we always welcome new ideas and extra energy.
5) Also at The Green Man - on Saturday 9th December - we have a bit of a party in recognition of the fact that Fringe 2018 is open for entries - indeed by then the first batch may well be on our website. For the third year we will be joining local singers for some Derbyshire village carols. Food and drinks will be available from 7pm and we will be giving it our vocal all from 7.30-9.00 led by Carol Bowns. Food and drinks will continue until 9.30 - unless we run out earlier! Carol will also be running a workshop from 2.30-4.30pm for those that want to practice a bit in advance - but you don't have to do the workshop to join the party. Everyone is welcome for the evening -whether to sing, listen or meet up.